Monday, January 4, 2010

taxi driver

 While avoiding the sun yesterday (this may seem crazy to those of you in the snow, but my burnt-to-a-crisp time of about 3 minutes turns me into a hermit during summer down here), I watched Scorsese's 1976 movie Taxi Driver. It details a late 70's seedy Manhattan, starring a young Robert De Niro and, Cybil Shepard and Jodie Foster.

 There's many things about the movie which you've undoubtedly heard about, but for me the costuming was pretty amazing- my favourite being the 60's/ 70s summer stylings of Foster as baby prostitute Iris. Ignoring the fact my dream wardrobe belongs to that of a prostitute on duty, 70s velvet platforms and extremely high waisted technicolor shorts, woo boy.


I also loved the way she changes her glasses in the diner when changing her views of Travis Bickle. Emotional symbolism with 60s sunglasses! Another inspiration I took away for architecture and even photography work is the use of light. The way Scorsese captures the light and colour of the city is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment